Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Bing Videos… Are you Kidding Me?!?!?!?

So there is nothing technical about this post, but I found it interesting. I have been a big supporter of Microsoft Silverlight, but I do find it a bit frustrating when I find out they don’t use their own technologies internally. Check this post out, it points out how Microsoft uses Flash for their Bing videos rather than Silverlight!

image

Now, when you click on the video, you are taken to a Silverlight player where you can view the entire clip, but why the use of Flash for the preview? Why not Silverlight? What was the technical challenge that caused them to go with Flash?

http://geekygab.blogspot.com/2010/07/bing-videos-are-you-kidding-me.html

 

1 comment:

  1. Its my guess recalling from memory that the softies are using Flash intros because the Flash object supports a default frame "image" to be displayed in the player whereas --ours-- remains poorly developed and only shows black leaving the persons who would view the video with no inviting visual context.

    ReplyDelete